Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
A wonderful companion to main dishes or sandwiches... heck, I even like to snack on these! I recall this makes about 1 litre, but I've used several smaller jars *and* just got rid of all of them when we moved, so I'm afraid I can't check it right now. Still, many smaller jars (say, 200 ml jars) are better than one big one. Add a few twigs of fresh rosemary into the jars for added flavour and that final aesthetic touch!
- 500 g peeled garlic (about 10 whole garlic heads)
- 200 ml water
- 100 ml vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 100 -150 ml honey
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 3 teaspoons pink peppercorns or 1 tablespoon sliced fresh chili pepper
- Measure water, vinegar and salt into a pot.
- Add the peeled garlic cloves and boil for five minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove and add the honey, olive oil, lemon juice and the spices, stir to combine.
- Divide the cloves into clean glass jars and pour the marinade on top.
- Close the jars tightly and allow to sit in the fridge for at least 2 days.
Cloves are still very garlicy when finished. I tried letting them sit over a week in the fridge and they tasted like slightly flavored garlic.
These are really really good. I halved the recipe and used a 4 cup jar (one that sliced peaches originally came in) with great success. Making the whole batch would make a lot and since this was just for me I didn't want them to spoil. These will make a lovely gift any time of the year. Thank you!
Good, good, good. Since I live in the good ole' USA I had to convert all of the amounts to cups before starting the recipe. I had a big container of pre-peeled garlic from Costco. I made as stated using the sliced fresh chili peppers instead of the pink peppercorns. This kept in the fridge for about a month while we snacked on the garlic. Yummy mellow flavor. Another great garlic recipe, thanks a lot for posting.