Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a very unique but tasty way to prepare beets. Adds nice colour to any dish it is served with. Low cal and low fat too!!
- 8 small beets (about 2 lbs)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Cook beets in large pot of salted water for about 40 minutes until tender.
- Cool, skin, cut in half and then into wedges.
- Melt butter over med heat in a skillet.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, about 8 minutes until tender.
- Stir in honey, lemon juice, nutmeg, s& P.
- Add beets, stirring to coat and cook 5 minutes until glazed.
Yum! I really liked these, some family members were a little reserved about them - but I like beets more than they do. Great colour presentation with a meal.
I reduced the butter. Turned out fine. Liked the hint of nutmeg.
I love beets! I have made these several times using canned baby beets and they are excellent. Just drain the liquid off the beets and add them to the skillet as in the recipe directions #6. Yummy! Updated from Sept. 23/06 it's spring time and fresh beets are available again, I made these today and added a photo.