Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Cream shortening and honey well.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix into creamed mixture with egg.
- Grease a 8-inch square pan.
- place 1/2 batter in pan.
- Top with seedless raspberry jam or preserves.
- Cover with remaining batter. Bake in a 400°F oven about 30 to 35 minutes or until done. Cool completely and cut into bars.
Mmm...this was so good! The cake is soft, spicy, and just sweet enough. I love that it has no sugar, since I used 100% fruit raspberry preserves. Instead of sandwiching the jam layer between the cake layers, I just heated the preserves a little bit in the microwave (so as to make them more "spreadable") and drizzled them over all the batter. Next time I think I'll do the sandwich thing and use half whole wheat flour. Thank you for a great breakfast treat! Even my whole wheat coffee cake recipe has sugar in it, but this doesn't. :-) I'll definitely be making this again.
Very fast and easy to make! Extremely tasty while also low-fat. I love that it uses basic ingredients and you can throw this together with what's on hand without planning or preparation.
This is a very fast sweet treat. It reminded me of biscuit/jam. I followed the recipe. Thanks for posting.