Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A southwest version of "cocktail sauce'. A combination of barbecue sauce spiced with jalapenos, sweetened with honey and enhanced with rum.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 small jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add jalapenos and rum and cook over medium high heat until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve hot or chilled, garnished with cilantro.
A very tasty sauce. I only used 1/2 t of cayenne pepper as I felt that 1 t would have been too much for us. It was still quite hot. Served it the typical Aussie way on top of fresh bread rolls filled with salad and King Prawns.
The aroma while cooking was great! This was a zippy, spicy-sweet BBQ dipping sauce. I bet it would be great on chicken wings, too. Thanks, ~Sue
This was awesome!!! Next time I will add finely chopped onions and more jalapenos and use it as a BBQ sauce too!!!