Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is from Rachael Ray's Food Network Specials, Episode: Rachael Ray's Block Party. I have tweaked it just a little bit! You may easily half the recipe (or double it). Enjoy!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 cups water, plus more as needed
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh lemon juice (from about 24 lemons)
- lemon slice (to garnish, or wedges)
- water (or club soda to make it sparkling lemonade!)
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, honey, and 2 cups water and place over medium-high heat. Cut the vanilla bean in 1/2 lengthwise, and using the back of the knife, scrape the vanilla seeds from the pod and add to the saucepan, along with the pod.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Put the lemon juice into a gallon jar or pitcher. Pour the sugar syrup through a strainer into the pitcher and discard pod.
- Add water or club soda to equal 1 gallon and stir well.
- Serve over ice with lemon wheels or wedges.
This was lovely but I didn't get the vanilla flavour coming through very strong. It was my first time using vanilla beans so perhaps I din't scrape it enough. The honey with the lemon was delicious & I ended up adding some vanilla extract just to elevate the vanilla taste. A keeper, thanks!
I also saw this on RR's Block Party and have made this many many times. It is absolutely wonderful and worth the $$$ to put in the vanilla bean. I used organic raw honey and a Tahitian vanilla bean... so yummy! The inclusion of these two ingredients really elevate this drink way above "ordinary" lemonades! Thanks for sharing!!!
Sharon this is wonderful. I love this lemonade, its sweet, tart and has lots of vanilla flavour. I have made this twice so far, once with spring water and once with club soda, they were both excellant. Thank you for sharing another winner.