Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Straight from the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que and Biker Bar in Syracuse, NY. Not like any cornbread I have ever had - this is so sweet. I usually use a lot more honey than the recipe calls for but, you decide
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Set oven at 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan with shortening. Pop the pan in the oven to heat while you're mixing up the cornbread.
- Mix the cornmeal, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and give them a good stir, just until everything is moistened.
- Pull the hot greased pan from the oven and pour in the batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Take the cornbread out of the oven and brush the top with honey.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before cutting into squares.
Most excellent! I added 1 Tbsp honey to sweeten the pot. It didn't need it. lol Very light and moist. Grt share. Thanx
This is our FAVORITE cornbread recipe!!
We've made it using buttermilk powder (blending the powder in with the dry ingredients and the water in the appropriate amount of water in the wet ingredients); we've made it with sour milk (1T lemon juice then filled the rest of the way to 1c with milk). Now that I have to avoid dairy due to my nurseling's reaction to it we've successfully made it with "soured" rice milk, though it is a bit crumbly.
My husband particularly favors the balance of sweetness.
Yum! I love me some sweet cornbread! I made these as muffins. I coated the pan with oil and filled the cups to almost the top (1/16" lower than top). This recipe made 12 regular sized muffins. They came out incredibly easily. I used 3-4T honey that I warmed up on the stove so it would spread evenly and easily. I put on two coats, and served these with honey margarine. Wonderful, thank you!