Recipe by Tendoy5
Straight from the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que and Biker Bar in Syracuse, NY. Not like any cornbread I have ever had - this is so sweet. I usually use a lot more honey than the recipe calls for but, you decide
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven at 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan with shortening. Pop the pan in the oven to heat while you're mixing up the cornbread.
- Mix the cornmeal, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and give them a good stir, just until everything is moistened.
- Pull the hot greased pan from the oven and pour in the batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Take the cornbread out of the oven and brush the top with honey.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before cutting into squares.