Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I got the recipe from "Food and Drink" Autumn Issue; cooked this for my family last weekend and received unusually high compliments (ie. Did you get this from catering?). Very very yummy is all I can say.
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup liquid honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 -9 tart apples (ex spy, crspin, cortland)
- 1 cup liquid honey
- 1⁄2 cup water
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- preheat oven to 325.
- bake the hazelnuts until skins are loosened and kinda brown, then remove the skin.
- Coarsely chop the nuts.
- layer a sheet of foil in a loaf pan and Pam/butter it well.
- Cream butter in a electric mixer then slowly add honey, eggs (one at a time), and vanilla.
- Beat well.
- Mixture will be lumpy!
- fold in the dry mixture and nuts.
- turn the mixture in the pan, level the top.
- and bake for about 70 minutes.
- Invert the pan to let it cool.
- Caramelized apples: core, peel, and thinly slice the apples.
- Heat honey with water, boiling gently uncovered for 10 mint until you see a caramel colour and your mouth starts to water.
- Very carefully, add the apples.
- turn the apples occasionally and keep boiling for another 10 min until the apples are tender and sauce is thick.
- Cut the cake in individual portions.
- Spoon the caramelized apples on serving plate, place the cake, and top with ice cream if desire.