Recipe by *Z*
I got this out of a magazine that was in the lunchroom at work. I haven't made it yet. I am planning on making it for Thanksgiving this year. It sounds tasty and different. My sweet potato hating DH said he might even try it!!
- 10 medium sweet potatoes, about 5 lbs
- 5 medium granny smith apples, about 2 lbs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice concentrate, undiluted and thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast potatoes in 400 oven for 40-50 minutes, until firm/tender.
- Peel potatoes and cut them into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Peel, halve and core apples.
- Cut apples into 1/4 inch thick wedges and toss into a bowl with the lemon juice.
- Grease a 3-3 1/2 quart casserole with 1 Tbsp of the butter.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine honey, remaining butter, apple juice concentrate, allspice and salt.
- Heat on high for 1 minute or until butter melts.
- Stir to combine.
- Heat oven to 375.
- Cover bottom of casserole with potato slices.
- Top with a layer of apple slices.
- Drizzle with half of the honey mixture.
- Alternately arrange potato and apple slices on top, overlapping to fit.
- Drizzle with remaining honey mixture.
- Using a bulb baster, baste with honey mixture in bottom of casserole several times during baking.
- Bake 40 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Turn on broiler.
- Broil 4-6 inches from heat sorce 2 minutes or until edges of apples are golden.