Recipe by LilPinkieJ
From Bon Appétit, August 2003 - Enter the tart - light, delicate, and fresh. This recipe tastes like summer on a plate - the peaches are front and foremost, lightly highlighted with a drizzle of honey, a pat of butter, and a sprinkle of almonds. Top it with some whipped mascarpone, and you’ve just made some humble peaches very happy.
Top Review by threeovens
Delicious pie that is easier to make than it sounds. I like that this recipe would work for just about any fruit so it is very versatile. Easy to follow directions with instruction s to make ahead. Made for "Please Review My Recipe" tag game (April 2009).
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons ice water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 6 ripe medium peaches, peeled, halved, pitted, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons peach preserves, melted
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust:.
- Blend flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Using on/off turns, cut in butter until pea-size pieces form. With machine running, add enough ice water by tablespoonfuls to form moist clumps. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch diamter tart pan with removable bottom. Trim overhang to 1 inch. Fold overhang in and press to form double-thick sides. Press inside edge of crust to push it 1/8 to 1/4 inch above top edge of pan. Pierce bottom of crust with fork. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Bake tart crust until golden, piercing with fork if bubbles form, about 25 minutes. Can be made 1 day ahead - cool, wrap in plastic and store at room temperature.
- For filling:.
- Mix sugar, flour, and lemon peel in large bowl to blend. Add peaches and toss to coat. Pour into baked crust. Drizzle honey over peach mixture; dot with butter and sprinkle with almonds. Bake until peaches are tender and almonds are toasted, about 35 minutes. Brush fruit and almonds with peach preserves. Cool 15 minutes before serving. Can be made 6 hours ahead - store tart at room temperature.
- For mascarpone cream:.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream, mascarpone, sugar, and vanilla in large bowl until peaks form.
- Slice tart and serve with dollops of mascarpone cream.