Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
Don't overlook this recipe because of it's wonderful simplicity! Also, do not be tempted to add anything. This recipe yields one of the most flavorful, juicy whole roasted chickens you will ever eat. The sweet flavor of the subtly lemon-scented chicken is marvelous, and the crispy sweet skin has a wonderful tang.
Top Review by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Nice change from our usual chicken recipe- Tangy lemon and sweet honey- really good together! We did ours on the grill- standing up on a beer can with the reserved lemon juice marinade (boiled first then added to can) Honey and lemon juice was basted over skin every 15 minutes. Great crispy and sweet skin. Thanks NC!
- 2 (6 1/2-7 lb) roasting chickens, rinsed, patted dry
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh lemon juice (from about 12 large lemons)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup honey, heated until pourable
Directions See How It's Made
- Place each chicken in heavy-duty resealable plastic bag. Add 1 1/4 cups lemon juice to each. Seal bags; turn chickens to coat. Refrigerate at least 6 hours and up to 1 day, turning bags occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 450°F Drain chickens; pat dry. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper. Place chickens side by side, breast side down, on racks in large roasting pan. Roast 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F Roast 45 minutes.
- Turn chickens breast side up. Brush all over with honey. Continue to roast until cooked through and deep brown, basting with any juices in pan and brushing with honey occasionally, about 55 minutes longer. Transfer chickens to platter. Tent loosely with foil to keep warm and let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour pan juices into small saucepan. Spoon off fat. Rewarm pan juices. Season with salt and pepper. Serve chickens with pan juices.