Recipe by gailanng
Oh boy! Guess what what I just found on my grocer's shelf? Manchego. Recipe courtesy Chuck Hughes of the Cooking Channel.
Top Review by Satyne
This was amazing. I couldn't find any manchego, so bought some haloumi and paneer and cut up both. Both cheeses fried up well and tasted amazing. I actually ended up drizzling with the sauce from Recipe #102849 and it went together perfectly. Definitely looking forward to making these again.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 lb manchego cheese, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- canola oil, for frying
- honey, for drizzling
- smoked paprika, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the flour, egg, and panko bread crumbs in 3 separate dishes.
- Dip the cheese cubes into each ingredient to coat, starting with the flour and ending with the panko.
- Preheat the canola oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees F, (or in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour enough oil to fill the pan about a third of the way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 375 degrees F.) If you don't have a thermometer, a cube of bread will brown in about 3 minutes.
- Add the breaded cheese to the hot oil, in batches, and deep fry until the cubes are crisp and golden.
- Remove the cheese from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined baking sheet to absorb the excess oil. Transfer the cheese to a serving platter, drizzle with the honey, and dust with the paprika.