Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Easy and pure heaven! Can be started the day before if wanting to make for company.
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 sprig fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 (12 ounce) chicken breasts, halved
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- Same day as serving or *day ahead:.
- Toast almonds in broiler 30 seconds-1 minute, watch carefully so you don't burn them! Cool, transfer to covered container.
- In 6-quart pot or dutch oven, combine onion, celery, carrot, parsley, salt, pepper, rosemary, bay leaf, broth and water.
- Bring to a boil, add chicken breasts and cover.
- Simmer 30 minutes or til chicken is tender.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Use now, or refrigerate overnight.
- Now or next day:.
- Remove pot from fridge and place over low heat.
- Cook til chicken is heated through, about 10 minutes, covered.
- Remove chicken from broth and place skin-side up in large, shallow baking dish or pan.
- Spoon 1 cup of broth into pan.
- Strain remaining broth and save for another use.(Discarding veggies.).
- Using a pastry brush, brush chicken with half of the honey.
- Broil 4" from heat source for 2 minutes.
- Brush again with a little more honey and broil 1-2 minutes longer.
- Brush with remaining honey and broil til chicken is glazed and golden brown.
- Remove from broiler and arrange chicken on heated platter.
- Sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds and garnsh with crisp watercress and small clumps of grapes if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- Serves 4-8.
Wonderful chicken! The chicken is poached perfectly with lots of flavor and the glaze not only gives the dish eye appeal, but lots more flavor! The leftover broth is a nice bonus also. I used skinless chicken breasts halves and it worked just fine. Thanks for a great recipe!
There must be 101 ways to make chicken, and this will be placed on my #1 spot! Wow, what a simple recipe and flavors just merry together perfectly. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe. ~V