Recipe by ketchupqueen
Originally got the recipe from my HS foods class, but I have halved and modified it over the years. Serves four as a side (although two can eat it quite easily!) Doubles very well.
Top Review by Cookin-jo
Overall this is a fantastic recipe. I love the green onion, honey and garlic flavours with the carrots. I did have a problem though. The first time around with the butter and honey it ended up burning very quickly before I could get the carrots into the pan. I think a medium heat setting is too high. I tried again on low until the honey and butter were mixed together and then raised the heat once the carrots were in the pan. This worked much better and resulted in wonderful carrots. I didn't have dried chives so omitted them.
- 1 lb baby carrots (think 1-2 bites, leave the skinny parts whole, halve or quarter fat ones) or 1 lb carrot, peeled, washed, and sliced into sticks about the size of baby carrots (think 1-2 bites, leave the skinny parts whole, halve or quarter fat ones)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons honey (use a little more for winter carrots or ones that have sat in the fridge a while, as they'll be more)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup green onion tops, cut small (about 3-4 green onions once you discard the very tops and the white parts) or 1 tablespoon dried chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Salt a large saucepan full of water and bring to a rapid boil. Add carrots and boil 5-7 minutes, until tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet or saute pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove garlic and discard.
- Add the honey, stirring to blend. Add carrots and salt and pepper to taste (it doesn't need much, a few shakes should do it). Stir around until carrots are coated. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-10 minutes, until carrots begin to brown. (You may need to increase heat to medium-high on some stoves.)
- Pour carrots and all the "juices" into a serving bowl. Add green onions and toss.