Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a wonderful cake to serve with Thanksgiving. Most people already have all the ingredients in their cupboard. It is a dense cake, somewhat like banana bread. The Honey Whipped Cream complements it perfectly! Fireweed Honey would provide a bit of butteriness to the bread A subtle difference among the ginger, but not a bad one. For a super-sweet gingerbread, you could try using Orange Blossom Honey, but you will find that the citrus aftertaste will get lost in the ginger. For something a bit different, you can try Arrowleaf Honey or Butterbean Honey. They both sweeten without being overly sweet, and do not supply a taste of their own. Great if you want just the flavor of the spices coming through
- 1 cup butter (or margarine, softened)
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ginger (ground)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
Honey Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pans.
- Cream together butter and 1/2 cup honey. Mix in egg In a separate bowl, blend flour, ginger, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a third bowl, blend remaining honey with boiling water use mixer to blend creamed honey and 1/3 dry ingredients, then 1/3 wet ingredients, alternating until all dry and wet ingredients are added.
- Turn into pans, bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 40-50 minutes.
- Honey Whipped Cream: Beat whipping cream until it starts to thicken. Add honey and vanilla. Continue beating until topping reaches desired consistency.