Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Woman's World Magazine 12/7/04 - a touch of chile powder gives this sweet, gingery side dish an extra kick.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 shallots, quartered, root end intact, about 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled, diagonally cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder or 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat melt butter. Add shallots and ginger; cook until just tender, 2 minutes.
- Stir in carrots; cook 3 minutes. Stir in honey, orange juice, salt and chile pepper. Increase heat to high; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover. Simmer, stirring once, 15 minutes.
- Uncover. Increase heat to medium; cook until carrots are glazed and tender, 5 minutes. Transfer to serving dish. Sprinkle with parsley.
Loved your recipe. I have been expanding my vegetable experiences with carrots and yours was tasty. Made for Spring 2013 PAC.
I liked these carrots. I used baby carrots and thought they were cooked enough but my brother thought they weren't done. I followed the directions as written. I have some leftover and I think I will cook them a little longer when I reheat them. Made for Newest Zaar Tag cooking game.
My dh & I love carrots. We have tried many carrot recipes on this site and Jackie let me tell you, this recipe is right up there with the best of them. They were perfectly cooked and seasoned. The carrots were, sweet, tender and very flavorful. I loved that you could actually taste, the carrots, shallots, orange juice, honey, ginger and cayenne. Sooo good, really nice balance between, sweet, spicy and hot. Thank you for sharing another new family favorite. Made for Aussie Swap/ May - 12.