Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This makes a deliciously saucy Asian-flavored shredded chicken. The original recipe called for blackberry jam, but I bet almost any kind of jam or jelly would be tasty. Adapted from a recipe at Just a Taste: http://bit.ly/16vVq36
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ginger preserves
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- sliced scallion, for garnish
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- Layer the chicken in the bottom of a 5 - 6 qt slow cooker.
- In a bowl, whisk together honey, soy sauce, preserves, hoisin sauce, oil, garlic, ginger, onion and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cover slow cooker and cook on low 4-5 hours.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon or skimmer, remove chicken from sauce to a plate. Transfer sauce to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and allow to reduce slightly.
- Meanwhile, using two forks, shred chicken, discarding bones and cartilage as you go.
- When the chicken is shredded, whisk the cornstarch into the cold water. Add to the sauce and simmer until thickened. Add chicken and stir to coat chicken well. Garnish with sliced scallions and sesame seeds; serve over steamed white rice.