Recipe by Simply Shirley
Deliciously grilled cornish game hens with a simple honey/ginger marinade and a delicious cranberry strawberry sauce. Melt in your mouth deliciousness.
- 3 Cornish hens
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 inch peeled gingerroot
- 1 small peeled pear
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 small onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw hens place in large bowl and set aside.
- Take the next 5 ingredients and put in blender or food processor.
- Pour mixture over hens, cover with plastic and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- About 20 minutes before you take out the hens begin the basting sauce and preheat the grill to about 400 degrees.
- First saute onion with butter in a small sauce pan.
- Add broth, cranberry sauce, sugar , strawberries and allspice bring to a boil.
- Add heavy cream as needed to bring to desired thickness.
- Strain the sauce then divide mixture in half.
- Sprinkle parsley and thyme on hens before grilling. I like to place hens directly on the grill to sear them then I move them to a pan to finish (because of grease and drippings).
- Use one half of the mixture to brush on hens while grilling to really pop the flavor. I baste around every 15 minutes or so. Again, do to your preference.
- When inside temp reaches 180 degrees the hens are finished usually takes at least 40 minutes. Use the thermometer it is the most accurate way to cook to perfection.
- Warm the other half of the sauce and serve with the hens and your favorite side dish.