Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This might seem fiddley but the end result is worth it! Prep time does not include marinating time.
- 50 g fresh ginger
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- Peel and thinly slice the ginger.
- Stack the ginger slices and cut crossways to make thin strips.
- Combine the water, honey and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring to the boil and add the ginger.
- Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes until ginger is tender.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add the garlic and lemon zest.
- Cut deep slashes in the chicken flesh.
- Place chicken in the ginger mixture and turn to coat evenly.
- Cover and refridgerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Place the chicken and sauce in a baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and browned.
- The original recipe called for 4 chicken thighs and 4 chicken drumsticks, however I always use skinless breasts.
- If you want to use the thighs and drumsticks increase the baking time to about 40 minutes.
These were very tasty chicken breasts. I made the recipe just a tad more savoury by adding 1 1/2 T of soy sauce to the ginger marinade - I think this suited the recipe very well.