Recipe by Outta Here
A nice side dish for a roast chicken. Can be done a day ahead except for baking. Cover and refrigerate. The next day, bring to room temperature and bake as directed.
Top Review by Shazzie
I really liked the flavour of these beets, although I will probably add more ginger next time. I baked the beets instead of boiling them and then baked them further with the glaze. Very sweet and tasty, thank you :)
- 8 medium beets (about 2 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons honey (fireweed or sage honey are good)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub beets but do not peel.
- Place beets in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 40 minutes, or until just tender. Drain.
- When cool enough to handle, peel beets, cut into quarters and place them in a oven-proof casserole dish, with a lid.
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
- In small saucepan, melt butter and mix in honey and ginger. Season with salt and pepper and pour over beets.
- Cover with lid and bake 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beets are well glazed.