Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
Get more duck for your dollar by featuring it in this delicious fried rice also loaded with an abundance of yellow and green veggies - and plenty of garlic! Prep time includes marinating duck breast; cook time includes 45 minutes of cooking rice.
Top Review by Islander902
Made this a few nights ago. The 3 star rating could be related to me being somewhat new to duck dishes or my wok skills which I just started using 4 months ago. The recipe was good, but after all the preparation (which was fun), I expected it to be better. My problem (I think) started in step 6, I wasn't able to wait the 10 minutes, my marinade thickened in about 3 minutes.
For Duck Breast
- 1 lb boneless skinless duck breasts, in 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce or 4 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
For Brown Rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup brown rice
For Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 green onions, white and 1/2 of green,sliced
- 1 cup Chinese pea pod, trimmed
- 1 small summer squash
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) canstir-fry baby corn
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (to scramble eggs)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In a plastic zipper bag, combine cubed duck breast with soy sauce, hoisin sauce and 2 sliced garlic cloves; marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours.
- Prepare brown rice: in a large saucepan, cook 2 minced garlic cloves in vegetable oil until golden; add rice and saute until aromatic, then add broth.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover; simmer on low heat for 45 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, shred the yellow squash; drain baby corn; slice green onions; scramble eggs in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and set aside; and steam pea pods and chopped bell pepper together for 1 minute (plunge them into cold water when done steaming to stop cooking and keep them crisp).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and cook cubed marinated duck with the marinade and green onions for 10 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and raise heat a bit; cook, stirring constantly until marinade is thickened, about 10 more minutes.
- Stir in honey, soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic powder; cook another 5 minutes to blend.
- Stir in pea pods, peppers, shredded yellow squash, baby corn and scrambled eggs.
- Cook another 3 to 4 minutes, just until vegetables and eggs are heated through.
- Serve immediately.