Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This a great dish to serve to guests. The excess marinade made a fanatastic gravy! This is a recipe from Paula Deen's Thanksgiving show.
- Rinse hens, trim off excess fat, and pat dry; place in bowl.
- Put garlic and ginger in food processor and process until nearly smooth.
- In another bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, oil, orange juice, and zest. Add the garlic and ginger.
- Pour mixture over game hens, coating well. Refrigerate overnight, turning in marinade several times.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place game hens in shallow roasting pan; pour marinade on top.
- Bake for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes.
- Remove hens to serving platter.
- Pour cooking juices into small, heavy saucepan and boil for 4 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Pour over hens just before serving.
- Serve with sesame noodles or rice pilaf.
- These hens can also be grilled; just remember to baste often.
I followed this recipe to the "T" as far as the ingredients are concerned. Well.....I think that maybe I used an extra clove of garlic because I really LOVE garlic. I also cooked it a little longer. And at about 15 minutes until it was finished I turned the stove up a bit to get a good browning on the top. The key to this recipe is to baste and flip every couple of hours while marinating in the refrigerator overnight. Basting it while it's cooking is important because it helps to keep the hens moist while cooking. These hens are scrumpdilliumptious:-) So good I had to make up a word:-)