Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from Mrs. Elmer Katt, from the cookbook "Heritage of Cooking" A Collection of Recipes from East Perry County, Missouri. To find out more about this cookbook read the description from the first recipe I posted from it Bier Suppe (Beer Soup).
- Beat eggs, add honey and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients which have been sifted together.
- Add dates, nuts, and cherries.
- Mix well.
- Bake in greased 13 x 9 pan 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until browned.
- Cut into bars when cool and roll in powdered sugar.
This was quite good. I enjoy the taste but the texture is not really for me. I find it a little too chewy. That may have been because the baking time should have been about 5-10 minutes less. I was busy and forgot to check on it. I did learn something from this though... not all dates are pitted when you buy them. And I also learned that dates are VERY HARD to pit. That is a lesson I will never forget! lol Thanks for the recipe!
I'm always amazed when something so easy to make can be so good. I made it as stated and was happy that I had all ingrediants on hand. A winner.:)