Recipe by Chef mariajane
The natural sweetness of honey and figs are a wonderful combination with toasty walnuts in these muffins that are packed with healthy goodness!!
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 3⁄4 cup dried fig, chopped (or raisins)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup plain yogurt (non-fat free)
- 2⁄3 cup liquid honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Butter a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan or line with paper liners.
- Heat 1/2 cup of the milk and figs for 1 - 2 minutes or until slightly warmed in a glass measuring cup in microwave on Medium power (50%) or in saucepan over medium heat on stove-top. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, flax seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together remaining milk, egg, yogurt, honey butter and vanilla, until well blended; stir in fig mixture. Pour over dry ingredients and sprinkle with walnuts; stir just until moistened.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake about 25 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch or tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely.