Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
When making this recipe use the best honey you can get, I was given this recipe by my aunt, which I will treasure. As these are very popular in Terceira island ,which is in the acores. They are very dense and delicious. Enjoy.
- 2 cups of white cornflour
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 10 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 5 egg whites, beat with blender to form peaks
- 3 tablespoons margarine, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour into medium size muffin tins.
- Cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool on rack, sprinkle cupcake's with icing sugar.
I made these for my daughter's class presentation on Portugal (cupcakes are more portable than custard tartlets!) and they smell divine! I used buckwheat honey to give it a strong honey flavor. My 4th grader was cracking eggs forever to make 3 dozen :-)
Unfortunately I'm on a strict diet so I can't enjoy them myself but they look and smell delicious!
Hi I actually live in Terceira, these are the best. My recipe is very different from yours, same ingredients, different proportions. These actually ask for Mel de Cana, thats Molasses, not Honey. thanks always nice to see a Portuguese recipe, on Zaar.
I made these a while ago but never got around to posting a review. I made them minus the raisins as my BF at the time had a strong dislike for them, but I would definately bake these again with raisins this time. They turned out very tasty and the girls at work loved them - one in particular as she has a wheat allergy, so thank you!