Prep 2 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from the Dean Ornish diet for preventing or treating heart disease. It is fat free: the banana imitates the texture and viscosity of oil. Serve over salad greens or over cold steamed vegetables. Cooking time is actually chilling time.
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Place ingredients in blender in the order given.
- Blend on high speed 1 minute until creamy and smooth.
- Refrigerate 1 hour before using.
though this recipe really intrigued me, i really had no idea what to expect. the result was a smoky spicy cumin dressing with a slightly sweet undertone more from the honey than the banana. as a big fan of the spice, this worked quite well for me. the banana really lends more texture and body to the flavor. my dressing did separate in the fridge (fortunately i left it in the mini chopper bowl) so i had to give it a quick pulse before serving. love the concept and will begin to play with other ideas for creamy fat free dressings. thanks echo.