Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
The cooked dressing adds a nice twist to this salad as does the red pepper flakes. I thought it was similar to a refrigerator pickle.
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onions
- Place thinly slice cucumbers in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Toss well. Allow to sit in the refrigerator while you prepare dressing. (The original recipe says to drain any liquid that comes out of the cucumbers while they set, but we don't do that.).
- To prepare dressing: combine the vinegar, water, honey & red pepper flakes in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until liquid is reduced to about 1/3 cup. Remove mixture from heat & stir in diced red onion. Let cool to room temperature.
- Combine sauce and cucumbers, stirring well to coat. Refrigerate until well chilled or at least an hour.
Good- one of the better pickled salads that I've had. Not too vinegary and just slightly sweet. This salad would also pair well with a lot of things.