Recipe by Aunt Cookie
This recipe is an adoptee from the RecipeZaar account. I changed the recipe slightly because the crust ingredients were entered incorrectly by the original owner of this recipe (unless the crust was really made of 1/3 cup flour and 1/2 cup crisco, which I highly doubt). Anyway, this is a very good pecan pie; I think the honey added to the topping is really nice. I hope you enjoy it!
Top Review by Pastryismybiz
This is found in The Great American Favorite Brand Name Cookbook. It is a most awesome pie if you love pecans,brown sugar custard and crunch topping. I was going to post it but found it already listed. Make this pie and you will be very happy. It has been "our pecan pie" for at least 5 years. Note: we use rum.
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup white corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup pecan nuts, Chopped
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecan halves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For pie filling:.
- Combine all filling ingredients except pecans and mix well.
- Fold in chopped pecans;spoon filling into unbaked pastry shell.
- Bake at 350 degrees 50 to 55 minutes.
- During last 30 minutes of baking, cover edge of pastry shell with aluminum foil to prevent over browning.
- During last 10 minutes of baking, remove pie from oven; spread crunch topping evenly over top.
- Return pie to oven; bake remaining 10 to 12 minutes or until topping is bubbly and golden brown.
- For Topping:
- Combine sugar, butter and honey in medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves,about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir constantly.
- Add pecan halves.
- Stir until pecans are well coated.