Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Mixed on the dough cycle in my bread maker, then baked in my oven! Prep time includes mixing on the dough cycle, and the approximate time for a second rise before baking.
- 1 cup water (cold, straight from faucet)
- 3 tablespoons water (cold, straight from faucet)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup multi-grain cereal (UNCOOKED Hodgson Mill Multi-Grain Cereal with Milled Flaxseed and Soy, preferred)
- 2 tablespoons honey crunch wheat germ
- 3 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon honey crunch wheat germ (OPTIONAL topping for shaped dough)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (OPTIONAL ~ brush on warm baked loaf for soft crust)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place dough ingredients, in order listed, into the bread machine pan, ending with the yeast in one corner, and the salt in another corner.
- Select dough cycle on bread maker ~ remove dough from machine after the first rise.
- Spray a plastic mat with cooking spray, then plop the dough onto the mat, folding the dough and punching it down ~ then shape the dough into a loaf.
- Spray a Pyrex loaf pan with cooking spray; add the loaf and slash the dough a few times if desired.
- FOR TOPPING: Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon honey crunch wheat germ on top of shaped and slashed loaf, if desired.
- LET DOUGH RISE UNTIL DOUBLED. (Depending upon the temperature of your kitchen, this could take 1 1/2 hours, or more!).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place Pyrex loaf pan into oven, THEN IMMEDIATELY REDUCE OVEN TO 375F ~.
- Bake 20 minutes ~ Tent loosely with aluminum foil, and continue baking for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and turn bread onto a wire rack to cool.
- Brush top, sides, and bottom of warm loaf with melted butter, if desired for a soft crust.