Prep 3 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Mixed on the dough cycle in my bread maker, then baked in my oven! Prep time includes mixing on the dough cycle, and the approximate time for a second rise before baking.
- 1 cup water (cold, straight from faucet)
- 3 tablespoons water (cold, straight from faucet)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup multi-grain cereal (UNCOOKED Hodgson Mill Multi-Grain Cereal with Milled Flaxseed and Soy, preferred)
- 2 tablespoons honey crunch wheat germ
- 3 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon honey crunch wheat germ (OPTIONAL topping for shaped dough)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (OPTIONAL ~ brush on warm baked loaf for soft crust)
- Place dough ingredients, in order listed, into the bread machine pan, ending with the yeast in one corner, and the salt in another corner.
- Select dough cycle on bread maker ~ remove dough from machine after the first rise.
- Spray a plastic mat with cooking spray, then plop the dough onto the mat, folding the dough and punching it down ~ then shape the dough into a loaf.
- Spray a Pyrex loaf pan with cooking spray; add the loaf and slash the dough a few times if desired.
- FOR TOPPING: Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon honey crunch wheat germ on top of shaped and slashed loaf, if desired.
- LET DOUGH RISE UNTIL DOUBLED. (Depending upon the temperature of your kitchen, this could take 1 1/2 hours, or more!).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place Pyrex loaf pan into oven, THEN IMMEDIATELY REDUCE OVEN TO 375F ~.
- Bake 20 minutes ~ Tent loosely with aluminum foil, and continue baking for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and turn bread onto a wire rack to cool.
- Brush top, sides, and bottom of warm loaf with melted butter, if desired for a soft crust.