Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Serve this in the morning for breakfast (you can even make corn muffins from this recipe) or serve it with some hot soup or chili on a cold winter's day.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease an 8x8 baking pan
- Beat milk, butter and egg in a large blow.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (except honey), batter will be lumpy.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and immediately spread honey on top
- Cool and serve.
Why buy a box when you con make this! We paired this with spicy chili and it was perfection. Try it, you'll love it
Chose this recipe to go along with Award Winning Chili and it was not only good but very forgiving. I made a MAJOR mistake that I didn't find until they were already in the oven and partly baked. I'd forgotten the baking soda!!! As a result they didn't rise and were heavy, but the taste was still great. Slightly sweet and went perfect with our spicy chili. Soooo, my photo isn't so pretty but as I was making these as part of "Help a naked recipe game" I had to post it. Next time I make them, and these will be my go to cornbread recipe - I'll post a better one. Even DH, who prefers a spicy over sweet cornbread - loved this one as it wasn't to sweet
This cornbread is the most amazing thing you will ever put in your mouth! I made it with whole wheat flour and it still was the best cornbread I have ever made...ever!