Recipe by Sharon123
Adapted from Martha Stewart magazine, I have changed the recipe just a bit. The original recipe calls for goat's milk. I have changed it to half rice or almond milk and half yogurt, so you still get a nice tang. Okay, I also added just a little pepper and sometimes I add a little fresh or frozen corn. Enjoy!
- 1 cup medium yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (may use Splenda)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (more or less to taste or you may omit completely)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup rice milk (or almond milk or regular cow's milk)
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup corn kernel (fresh or frozen)
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, plus 1 tbls. butter, room temperature
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated (about 1 tsp.)
- 2 tablespoons honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400*F.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, 1 teaspoons salt, pepper(if using), and cayenne together(to taste).
- Whisk together egg, milk, corn, if using, and yogurt. Gently stir in melted butter and lemon zest.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining tablespoon butter in an 8" ovenproof skillet(preferably cast iron-you may use a pie dish if necessary). Heat in oven until the butter is melted and foaming, about 2 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour batter into skillet.
- Bake until top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Brush the top with honey and let cool. Enjoy!