Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is so quick, so healthy, and I literally had ALL the pantry ingredients on hand. If you keep chicken breasts in the freezer and OJ in the fridge, you've probably got all the stuff. You could use pre-sliced veggies to make this really fast. Be aware that this makes a very scant four servings (you may need to up the ingredients accordingly). (EDIT 11/07 - After the first review, I noticed I goofed on the ingredients. It has since been corrected.)
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2 inch strips (thawed, if using frozen)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (plain vinegar is fine, too)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups mixed vegetables, cut up (I used sweet onion, orange pepper, and broccoli)
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- To make the sauce, in a bowl mix honey, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large wok or skillet. Add veggies and cook until tender-crisp (about 3 or 4 minutes). Remove veggies from wok.
- Add more oil if needed before adding chicken. Cook chicken for 3 or 4 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Push the chicken to the sides of the pan and pour the sauce into the center (give the sauce a quick mix before doing this).
- Allow the sauce to bubble and thicken, while gently stirring. Then return the veggies to the pan and cook until heated through and all ingredients are coated with glaze.
- Serve over rice.
This was a great weeknight recipe - quick and easy with just a few ingredients. I completely forgot to add the vinegar (and ended up adding a couple extra splashes of OJ to thin it out, whoops!) but it still tasted great. I make it with thin sliced chicken breast, orange pepper, snap peas, onion and broccoli and served it over rice. I agree with the previous reviewer that you'd need to double up the sauce and add more meat/veggies than the recipe calls for if for feeding more than 3 - 4 people as a main course. Will definitely make this again, plus the vinegar. :)
This is a very nice main meal that is pretty easy to prepare too which is a great bonus! We loved the flavor of the orange juice sauce - just wish there was a bit more of it - definitely will be doubling or tripling the sauce next time as we like to have some poured over our rice. I used 2 c broccoli, 1 1/2 carrots and 1/2 c sweet onion as my veggies. Very nice dish. Made for Bargain Basement tag game in Cooking Games with Friends forum.
Easy meal to prepare and was good.