Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Slightly sweet and spicy rice to serve with any Mexican meal.
Make and share this Honey Chipotle Mexican Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- 198.44 g fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained (1/2 of a 14 oz can)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 59.14 ml water
- 2.46-4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml red pepper flakes
- 59.14 ml honey
- 14.79 ml cider vinegar
- 1-2 medium jalapeno
- 236.59 ml MINUTE White Rice
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 2.46-4.92 ml kosher salt
- In a small saucepan, bring chile, tomatoes, water, onion, garlic, salt and red pepper to a boil for 2 minutes, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, slowly, covered for 15 minutes.
- Puree mixture in a blender (or use an immersion blender) until smooth. Stir in the honey and vinegar. You can make this ahead and refrigerate for a couple of days if needed. NOTE: You will need exactly 1 cup of the puree for the rice.
- Remove ribs and seeds from jalapenos and discard. Mince flesh and set aside.
- Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear- about 1 1/2 minutes.Shake rice vigorously to remove excess water.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium high heat about 2 minutes. Drop a few rice grains in and if they sizzle then it is ready. Add rice and fry stirring until rice is light golden and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and minced jalapenos and cook , stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, pureed mixture, and salt. Stirring frequently,continue cooking for 5 minutes or until rice is cooked through and the liquid has been absorbed, If the rice looks too dry before it is cooked through, add more puree or stock or plain water by tablespoonfuls to reach desired consistency.
I made this using rice that I had cooked. Blended the sauce ingredients then brought it to a boil reduced to a simmer for 10 minutes. Added to the rice. Great flavors. Thanks. Made for Mischief Makers ZWT 2011
Very nice rice!! I did not have a chipotle chile in adobo, so I used 1/4 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder instead. Other than that, I made as written. Loved the sweetness from the honey (I used Tupelo) and the fire roasted tomatoes added just a hint of smokey flavor as well. Overall, I very tasty side for our dinner. I'll make this again! Thanks for posting, made for ZWT7 and the HOT PINK LADIES.
Great flavors! I thought I was being wise by using all of the puree and dumping everything in my rice cooker.... one cup of broth (as recipe stated) and 3 cycles later, it was amazing! I didn't do the jalapeno because I was out, but the chipotle gave great spice alone! Thanks!