Recipe by Susie in Texas
This is my concoction of all the things I love about stir-fry. Don't let the ingredient list spook you. It is very easily prepared.
Top Review by Manda
OMG!!!!! This dish is WONDERFUL!!! Only thing I changed was that I used fresh minced garlic (3 cloves) instead of powder and added it to the sauce, and I used half green pepper and half red pepper, which gave it a beautiful color. Very easy, and the sauce is just out of this world!! Definitely a keeper! Thanks:) ~Manda
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (1 ounce) package brown gravy mix
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 carrots, scraped and sliced into julienne strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into eighths
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut in quarter inch strips
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice chicken into thin strips.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Stir-fry chicken until lightly browned.
- Drain excess oil.
- In a small bowl, combine gravy mix, water, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir until smooth consistency. Slowly pour sauce mixture over chicken in the skillet and heat and stir until thickened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover skillet/wok and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add carrot strips and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Stir in onion, bell pepper and water chestnuts.
- Continue to simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes or longer depending on how crunchy you prefer the veggies.
- Serve over hot rice.