Prep 2 hrs 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Ann Marie at allrecipes.com.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 2⁄3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 5 small onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 14 ounces canned pineapple chunks in juice, drained
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, soy sauce, pepper, garlic and ginger. Divide marinade equally between two large ziptop bags. Add chicken to one bag. Add onions, peppers and pineapple in the other bag.Press out as much air as possible before sealing. Place both bags in the refrigerator and marinate at least 2 hours, up to overnight (the longer the better), turning bags over two or three times. Meanwhile, if using wooden or bamboo skewers, soak them in water.
- Preheat the grill for medium-high heat. Place your hand about 2 inches over the heated grill surface. If you can hold your hand there for three seconds, then you've got the right grill temperature.
- Drain marinade from the chicken and vegetables. Reserve about 1/2 cup of marinade from the vegetables (NOT from the chicken). Thread chicken and vegetables alternately onto the skewers.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken juices run clear. Turn and brush with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes.