Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached white flour, plus extra for rolling dough
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- 1⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, Shredded
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 -2 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Into large bowl, sift together 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift mixture again.
- Add butter; mix just until crumbly.
- Add cottage cheese, chutney, Cheddar cheese, honey and 1 tablespoon buttermilk.
- Combine briefly, just to mix ingredients.
- If dough is too crumbly, add additional 1 tablespoon buttermilk.
- Knead only 5 times.
- (Dough should be soft and satiny.) Lightly flour board and roll out dough into 8- by 5-inch rectangle. Cut into rounds with 2-inch biscuit cutter, rerolling and cutting scraps.
- Place on oiled baking sheet. Bake 7 to 10 minutes, until just golden.
- Yields 10 to 12 scones.
- Recipe Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch - 09-28-1998 By Mary Carroll Alan Hewitt The UK Recipe Archive recipes on-line in Mastercookand Mealmaster formats.
I would have liked these if perhaps it was another chutney, I didn't like the hard chunks of mango in it. However other people did like them, The cottage cheese makes for an nice soft scone.