Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
Got this from the Sue Bee Honey web site but took out margarine which I never cook with.
- Cook honey, sugar and salt rapidly to hard-ball state - 250º F. Stir occasionally.
- Add evaporated milk and butter.
- Cook rapidly to hardball stage again, stirring constantly so mixture doesn't scorch. This may take 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour into well buttered 9x13 inch pan and cool completely.
- Once cooled, loosen caramel in pan and place on cutting board. Cut into 1-inch or smaller strips with a very sharp butchers knife. Cut strips into 1-inch squares and place in foil candy cups or wrap in squares of waxed paper. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 100 pieces of caramel.
Ok, first, I have to do everything the hard way. I got started then realized I had no evaporated milk. So I added another 1-1/2 cups of milk. It took much longer to cook down, but the results were beautiful and have that honey tang. It not as buttery as some other caramels I've done but that may be my fault.