Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was given to me by a friend. The original recipe dates back to the 1800s.
Make and share this Honey Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, salt, orange rind and baking powder; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine 3 tbsp sugar and 2 tbsp honey. Microwave for about 1 minute at 50% power, until honey is warmed. Stir to combine sugar & honey, and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine milk, egg & egg yolk. Add sugar/honey mixture, and add all at once to dry ingredients. Combine gently as you would biscuit dough, and turn out onto a lightly floured board. Pat or roll dough to about 1/2-inch thickness & cut into 2" rounds or ovals. Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Place baking sheet on a cooling rack and reduce oven temperature to 250°F As oven is cooling, drizzle additional honey over the cakes & top with ground almonds. Return cakes to the cooled oven for about 5 minutes or until set.