Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Americas Best: A Collection of Savory Recipes. Volume 1
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- whipped cream (optional)
Honey Nut Topping
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- Mix together all ingredients and set aside.
- In large bowl cream sugar and butter.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating after each.
- Beat in honey; set aside.
- In a small bowl sift together flour, baking powder, mace and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternatively with milk; beating well each addition.
- Add in almond extract.
- Pour batter into two greased and floured round 8-inch baking pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
- Spread each cake with honey nut topping; bake another 5 minutes.
- Cool cakes and remove from pans.
- Stack layers and frost with whip cream if desired.
Good recipe.DH liked it. Easy enough to make but it wasn't what Iwas anticipating. Will make again and try a lower temp. on my oven because it is probably off. Thanks for the recipe.