Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 3⁄4 cups honey
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1⁄2 cup currants or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- In a saucepan, combine the honey and coffee, bring to a boil and cool.
- Soak currants in brandy.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, blend the applesauce, brown sugar and egg substitute. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Stir the dry ingredients alternately with the coffee into the egg mixture. Fold in the currants and orange zest. Spray Pam in two 9x5-inch loaf pans (or use non-stick pans). Pour the batter in and bake for 1 hour; the top will be sticky, but a toothpick inserted into the center should come out cle an.
I really messed this one up and it was still delicious and moist. First of all I didn't have time to boil the coffee and honey so I just threw them in and then because I was so rushed I forgot about the currants and orange zest until this was already baking. I love it when I can mess up that badly and still really enjoy the end results. I also made this into cupcakes, it made 36 and they needed to bake for 20 min.