Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sweet and perfect for tea
- 2 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup coffee, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, honey and vegetable oil until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add half of this mixture to the honey mixture, followed by the coffee and the remaining dry ingredients. Stir until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks, then fold them into the honey batter. Make sure the egg whites are completely incorporated and the batter is uniform in color when finished.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Turn cake out of pan, remove parchment paper and reinvert on a wire to cool completely. If you will not be serving the cake right away, store it in an airtight container when cool.
- Top cake with glaze if you'd like and let it set before serving.