Recipe by figaro8895
Fanny Silverstein's recipe - a Romanian Jewish immigrant; from the book My Mother's Cookbook
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup peanut oil
- 1 cup honey
- 1 grated washed orange, rind of
- 2 tablespoons brandy or 2 tablespoons any whiskey
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda; set aside.
- Mix the instant coffee with the water; blend the oil, honey, orange peel, and brandy.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until frothy; gradually add the sugar and beat until light; add to the honey mixture.
- Combine the flour mixture alternately with the honey mixture, starting with flour and ending with flour.
- Stir in the walnuts. Pour the batter into an oiled and waxed paper-lined 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake in a 325 oven for about 50 minutes.
- Test with a toothpick. If moist, continue baking until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Invert the cake onto a wire rack.
- Cool. Peel off the waxed paper and wrap in aluminum foil to maintain freshness.