Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I wanted to make corn bread but didn't have sugar or milk. I did have buttermilk and honey. They seemed to work well. I guessed at how much honey would be needed and it seemed about right, not too sweet.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. and grease a 8 inch square baking pan.
- Sift the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In a seperate bowl mix the egg, buttermilk oil and honey.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Beat until smooth.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 20 minutes edges may start to brown a little.
Quick and easy. Not too sweet, yet very moist.
warning: this is not a good "quick" cornbread recipe! mine came out dense and flavorless.
This is so good!! It's soft and moist (almost cake-like), and sweetened just perfectly. I scaled the recipe to six servings, then baked the cornbread in a 4" x 8" loaf pan; and my DH and I ate it all at one meal! We'll definitely be having this again. Thanks for posting, Chef 392928! (Made for the Spain and Portugal February 2012 Honey Tag.)