Recipe by Cricket *
My mom's made these for Easter the past 15 years. These are great for breakfast or to give out as gifts (wrapped in cellophane). Ingredients can be put in bread machine. Rolling the dough into coils is a great way to get the kids involved. To freeze: wrap bunnies individually and freeze in Ziplock bags.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
I made these with ingredients stated but just twisted them, baked them and then glazed. The dough baked out nice and soft, I only used 1 egg yolk insteak of 2 whole eggs. Thanks Cricket!
- 4 1⁄2-5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast, 4 1/2 teaspoons total (or Rapid Rise)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk (Not Sweetened Condensed)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (for eyes)
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl combine 1 1/2 cups flour, undisolved yeast and salt.
- Heat evaporated milk, water, honey, and butter until very warm (120-130 F) - butter doesn't need to melt.
- Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer.
- Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour.
- Beat 2 minutes at high speed.
- With spoon, stir in enough additional flour to make stiff batter.
- Place in greased bowl and spray top with vegetable spray.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic and refrigerate 2 - 24 hours.
- Shaping rolls:.
- On lightly floured surface, divide dough in 15 pieces.
- Roll each to 20 inch rope.
- Divide each rope into:.
- 1 (12 inch).
- 1 (5 inch).
- 3 (1 inch).
- (You just need to place coils close together and when the dough rises they will meld).
- Coil 12 inch stip to make a body.
- Coil 5 inch stip to make head.
- Shape remaining 3 strips into ears and tail and attach to body and head.
- Place bunnies on baking sheets coated with vegetable spray.
- Cover and let rise in warm plae until doubled in size, about 20 25 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until goldn brown.
- Remore to wire racks.
- Brush with Honey Glaze while warm.
- To make glaze, melt honey and butter over low heat.
- Decorate with raisin for eyes.
- Brush again with glaze, if desired.