Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I make this as a savory part of my Diwali sweets. The three crunchy flakes make for an amazing combination with some fruits n nuts and sev.
- 3 cups plain Honey Bunches of Oats cereal
- 1⁄4 cup mixed nuts
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, add more if you like it spicy (this will give a mild heat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sev (gram flour snack) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 -4 curry leaves
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- Heat oil. Add cumin seeds and curry leaves. Stir till they sizzle 1 minute.
- Lower heat add raisins and nuts and stir for a minute.
- Add salt, turmeric and chili powder.
- Add lemon juice keeping away face from the pan in case it splashes.
- Add cereal. Stir till the cereal is coated with the spices.
- Add sev.
- When cool store in an air tight container.
WOW!! The flavors and spices are so delicious in this - hard to stop eating. Chivda is my favorite Indian snack to make, but I have never made it with curry leaves, and they are the bomb! I did adjust this to our tastes and used rice crispies, less chili, oil and salt, and more nuts and curry leaves. If you like Indian food, you will love this!
Really LOVED this recipe....it was verrry easy n amazingly yummy!I guess nobody has tried/rated this recipe coz few understand what "chivda" is....I suggest you try translating it into sthng-spicy crispy crunchy snack(?) I did step up the spice level to one n half tsp chilli pd as both hubby n I enjoy our munchies spicy....did increase the lemon juice to one n half tsp too as I used the lemon squeezies n find them kinda mild in flavour.Another small variation was increasing the amount of curry leaves used to 7-8. Thanx a ton for sharing this recipe...this one will definately gonna be used over n over again!