Recipe by ladyinred
I make this as a savory part of my Diwali sweets. The three crunchy flakes make for an amazing combination with some fruits n nuts and sev.
Top Review by Maito
WOW!! The flavors and spices are so delicious in this - hard to stop eating. Chivda is my favorite Indian snack to make, but I have never made it with curry leaves, and they are the bomb! I did adjust this to our tastes and used rice crispies, less chili, oil and salt, and more nuts and curry leaves. If you like Indian food, you will love this!
- 3 cups plain Honey Bunches of Oats cereal
- 1⁄4 cup mixed nuts
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, add more if you like it spicy (this will give a mild heat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sev (gram flour snack) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 -4 curry leaves
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil. Add cumin seeds and curry leaves. Stir till they sizzle 1 minute.
- Lower heat add raisins and nuts and stir for a minute.
- Add salt, turmeric and chili powder.
- Add lemon juice keeping away face from the pan in case it splashes.
- Add cereal. Stir till the cereal is coated with the spices.
- Add sev.
- When cool store in an air tight container.