Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I have been making these for a long time - its easy and the kids luv them. This recipe is for 2-4 people ( depends on who is eating). You can double, triple or more if needed.
- 3 sweet potatoes or 3 yams or 1 (24 ounce) canbruce's yams
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- If using fresh yams/sweet potatoes: Cook whole sweet potatoes in water until the potatoes are soft ( 25-35 minutes).
- Drain water from potatoes and cool until they can be handled.
- Peel potatoes ( its very very easy after cooking).
- If using canned yams- just drain and reserve 1/2 cup liquid. If you dont have any oj then use this reserved liquid instead of oj. If you have the juice then discard all liquid.
- Cut potatoes into thick chunks and place in glass 9 x 9 inch baking dish.
- In a deep, non-stick, saucepan place butter, honey, brown sugar, OJ ( or canned liquid) and cinnamon.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until everything is well mixed and gooey ( caramel like)-this should only take a minute or two-be careful not to burn.
- Pour mixture over potatoes.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until dish is bubbling.
- Take cover off for 15 minutes and bake more -- basting often.