Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another Polish recipe from Chef Worldwide recipes entered for ZWT3. Again have not tried as yet, but will asap. My Polish girlfriend makes this and states that it is good. We shall see, NOTE: I know it seems like a lot of steps but it sure sounds tasty.
- 2 cups honey
- 8 eggs, separated
- 6 tablespoons room temp. butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 grated orange, juice and zest of
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts (filberts) or 1 cup walnuts
- Heat honey in a pot over moderate heat until it boils. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
- Beat egg yolks with the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar and honey and beat.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon and add to honey mixture.
- Add the orange zest, juice, coffee and sour cream and beat just until no dry flour can be seen.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into flour mixture.
- Stir in chopped nuts.
- Pour into 2 or 3 buttered and floured loaf pans.
- Bake in a preheated 325F (165C) oven for one hour.
- Cool on wire racks and wrap in plastic wrap or aluminum foil when cool.
- Will keep refrigerated for several weeks.