Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from my MIL. The bread is light and yummy, and goes fast!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 cup very hot water
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 2 packages dry active yeast
- 5 1⁄2 cups flour, divided
- 4 large eggs (room temp)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- Dissolve honey in very hot water.
- Add scalded milk, let mixture cool until just very warm.
- Stir in dry yeast.
- Add 1 cup flour, mix well.
- Let stand in a warm, draftless place for 10 minutes.
- Mixture should"lightly" sponge.
- Add eggs, salt, and oil.
- Add additional flour, cup by cup, until mixture is just barely dry enough to turn out onto a heavily floured board.
- Knead dough until smooth.
- Place some oil in a large bowl and coat the inside.
- Place dough in bowl and turn over once, so top of dough is coated with oil.
- Cover with a light towel and place in a warm spot to rise for 45 minutes, or until dough doubles in size.
- Punch down, shape into loaves or biscuits, and let rise for 10-15 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.