Prep 8 mins
Cook 26 mins
The younger ones may prefer a no-frills brat with just ketchup or mustard. Add the slaw for those who want theirs dressed all the way.
- 1 (19 7/8 ounce) package bratwursts
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) packaged shredded angel hair coleslaw mix
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup thousand island dressing
- 2 tablespoons deli mustard with grated horseradish
- 1 tablespoon honey
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- hot dog buns or hoagie roll
- Pierce each brat with a fork, and place in a large saucepan. Top with onion and coleslaw mix; sprinkle with caraway seeds. Pour apple cider over cabbage mixture; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook 20 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Remove brats, and set aside.
- Drain cabbage mixture well, reserving 2 tablespoons cooking liquid. Discard remaining cooking liquid. Combine cabbage mixture, reserved cooking liquid, and Thousand Island dressing in a large bowl; toss to coat. Cover and chill.
- Combine mustard and honey in a small bowl; set aside. Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add brats to pan; cook about 6 minutes or until golden brown on all sides, turning often and basting with honey mixture. For grown up servings, place 1 brat in a bun with 1/3 cup slaw. For plain servings, server brats in bun without the slaw.
Yum! I used vegetarian brats and homemade thousand island dressing. Different and so good. Thanks! Made for the Australian Recipe Swap-June 2010.