Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Healthy, high fiber, and yay I have all of these ingredients on hand. Oh dieters rejoice. If you like cabbage, this is great..
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 green apple, sliced thin
- 1 head red cabbage, core removed and sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a large saucepan heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for three minutes. Add apple and cabbage, and cook for five minutes. Stir in vinegar, salt, pepper, and honey.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is soft.
This was pretty good. It was my first time having braised cabbage. I did add more honey to get it a little sweeter. It was a good healthy side dish. I may try some other recipes to decide which way I like it best. Thanks for the recipe idea!
This reminded me of my childhood growing up. Mom is German and she would make this dish. She never used the honey but I think it adds to it. Delicious. Made for Fall PAC 2011.
the flavors are amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!